Introduction to Functional Safety (IEC 61508) – 1 Day Training Course
The course will focus on the generic standard IEC 61508, which is a key cornerstone of sector and other related standards, and sets out the relationships to other sectors and product standards.
Click here for a brief Introduction to Functional Safety.
Course Learning Objectives
By the end of this course, participants should have an appreciation of
- Management of functional safety
- Safety Life cycle Concepts
- Compliance framework for IEC 61508
- Functional safety and the role of IEC 61508 and other related standards in achieving functional safety
- The concept of risk reduction, risk reduction parameters and the concept of a tolerable risk
- The concept of a safety function with respect to its functionality and its performance
- The role of a safety-related, other engineered measures and risk parameters in achieving a tolerable risk
- Concept of Safety Integrity and Safety Integrity Level (SIL)
- SIL determination concepts and methods
- Functional Safety Assessment and Certification
Full Course Outline is available here
Ron Bell, OBE, BSc (Hons), CEng, FIET
From 1992 until May 2006, Ron Bell was head of the Electrical and Control Systems Group in the Health and Safety Executive (the UK Safety Regulator). In 1998 he was appointed as one of the five UK members of the binational Channel Tunnel Safety Authority which is a post he held for 13 years.
He chaired one of the two IEC working groups responsible for developing IEC 61508 and also chaired one of the two teams responsible for the recent revision of IEC 61508. He is currently the chair of one of the two IEC Maintenance Teams responsible for the ongoing maintenance of IEC 61508.
He is a Director of Engineering Safety Consultants Ltd (ESC), a technical consultancy specialising in functional safety.
In 2005 he received the IEC 1906 Award for his work on functional safety and in particular IEC 61508. He received the OBE in the Queen’s 2006 New Year Honours.
Qualifications, Skills, Competence gained
- Certificate setting out the key topics covered in the course
- Enhanced knowledge of functional safety that will facilitate improved decision-making
Who will benefit
- All persons who need to have an appreciation of functional safety in general and international standard IEC 61508 and associated standards covering sectors and products
- Persons who already have some appreciation of functional safety but wish to gain a better appreciation of the management of functional safety and its core concepts
Course evaluation will be via feedback form.
|05/07/2017||8:30 am – 5:00 pm||The Catch Center|
Redwood Park Estate
North East Lincolnshire
|11/10/2017||8:30 am – 5:00 pm||ESC London|
27-37 St George’s Road
Please contact us to discuss if you’d like any further information